Tuesday 7 June 2011

Charleston House...

As a long time admirer of The Bloomsbury Group the day finally came over this last weekend to visit Charleston House, their East Sussex enclave. It didn't disappoint.


As a fan of their printed textiles ever since basing an A-level textiles project on them, I was in my element perusing every room in awe of the decoration on show. Every room had been attacked with creative vigour, even the light shades were painted ceramic colanders! As Andrew Marr quoted "Charleston is one of the most intensively decorated homes in England." 


As a keen gardener, the walled garden excited me as much as the house itself. It's a beautiful, seemingly untamed haven, full of typically English cottage garden rambling flora. My mind was racing, wondering how I could translate this type of planting into a south London container garden!


Here are a very small selection of the pictures that I took on the day.











As ever, I was drawn into the shop where I bought a couple of cards featuring these fabulous prints. Images courtesy of collections.vam.ac.uk

Pamela, 1913
Attributed to Duncan Grant

White, 1913
Attributed to Vanessa Bell

Here are a few books which may be of interest...

Charleston



No comments:

Post a Comment